Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Style Watch: Strong Shoulders

Urban Outfitters sent me an e-mail yesterday, letting me know that the strong shoulder is coming back into style.Not that UO is the only proponent of the returning trend -- fashionistas everywhere have been noticing its comeback since early 2009. Strong shoulders were popular in the 1940s and 1980s as well; the idea is to emphasize a wide line at the shoulder, making the waist seem smaller.

UO has one of the largest {and most inexpensive} collections of clothing featuring strong shoulders that I could find.  View all of their strong-shouldered items here.  Here are a few items that I like:



Pins and Needles Rouched Sleeve Top, $28 {link}
Urban Renewal Strong Shoulder Satin Surplice Dress, $58 {link}
Silence & Noise Strong Shoulder Blazer, $78 {link}
Silence & Noise Strong Shoulder Blouse, $58 {link}

Personally, I tend to be thin and straight, so done right, a strong shoulder could give my body some shape.  Done wrong, I could end up looking like I'm lost in my daddy's jacket.  Find some great tips on wearing a strong shoulder here.

What do you think?  Are you into the strong shoulder trend, or are you still too nauseated by the idea that 1980s fashion is making a comeback?

3 comments:

Angela said...

I don't think I'll get into the strong shoulder trend.

Teri said...

Still nauseated. I was hoping I would never live to see 80's fashion make a come back.

M. said...

I don't think I'll get into this trend also!! I always hated that trend!

Post a Comment