Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ashley's Request

I recently received an e-mail from my friend Ashley, who had an adorable little boy last month:
Soo....I thought you could help me :-)  My friend from high school is getting married in October.  The "problem".... She is having an engagement party on May 1... aka 7 weeks after giving birth.  I need a dress!!  or skirt and top.  Something that hides the belly and something that is easy to wear while breastfeeding.  I've been looking but no luck yet!  No pressure, but if you see something cute...let me know!!!!
Love~Ashley
I called my sister {who had her own baby on Tuesday} and asked her what makes a garment easy or hard to wear while breastfeeding.  She explained that dresses with buttons or other openings in the front {wrap dresses included} are ideal; dresses with crew necks are out.  A shirtdress or wrap dress, then, with a high waist and an A-line skirt would be both practical and flattering.  I love the fun, summery colors of these dresses:

{dress links: one, two, three, four, five, six}

A skirt and a top is another great option -- again, tops that button up will be easiest {I like these two}.  Pair them with skirts that have a high waist, with pleats or gathers to disguise any remaining baby bump, like these.

I hope this helps, Ashley!

Does anyone else have clothing advice for new moms?  What do you think of my picks?  Are they items you would wear?  I appreciate your comments!

7 comments:

Emily said...

Great post Mary. :) I was just wondering the same thing. I've been in skirt and shirt mode with my little one for a while now.

Madeline said...

Great ideas! I especially like 1 & 5. I don't really have any advice as I have never had a baby. But I do think it's important that you get dressed up every once and awhile. I think these dresses will go a long way and making it possible to feel good about what you look like.

À LA MODEST said...

The orange and yellow dresses are really cute! I love the ruffles.

As for new moms, I always think of long baby doll shirts over tights, leggings, or skinny jeans.

Ashley said...

You're the best Mary!! I am loving the yellow dress!!! Thanks for the help :-)

chris said...

hey, mary: a little white cardigan, cotton or cotton/silk or cotton/acrylic; short (to the top of the hip, NOT waist length); three quarter length sleeves?????

chris said...

i mean for me.

mommy Orkid Belle said...

I love the Orange and Yellow as well. I think it would be perfect for Ashley! I am a mom too and I decided to buy me a shirt dress with buttons and a belt like these dresses that hides a little bit of my tummy area. :) Great dresses! :)

Adin B
http://itssewtasticmama.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment